Forum Archive - Large cache folders

Large cache folders
Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am by paulg
Hi Edvard, Yesterday I had to switch back from Gtranslate Pro to the Free version because my website space was almost full because of large cache folders in the Gtranslate plugin. I had only 4 languages enabled and reached over 250 Mb in a few days with over 10.000 files some language folders. My webspace is 550 Mb with almost 300 Mb for the website so you can guess what happened. Is this normal behaviour for Gtranslate Pro? And if so, is Gtranslate Pro not suitable for smaller websites like mine? Now I can decide to use only one or two language but is there a way to automate the decrease the cache folders? Greetings, Paul
Re: Large cache folders
Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm by paulg
Hi Edvard, Adittional question: how can i remove a language. I removed the language from sitemap.txt and disabled the flag in the module but the cachefolder from that specific language is still growing and the url to the language is still working. What did I forget? Greetings, Paul
Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm by Edvard
It is OK. Do you have some random content generated in your pages? May be you have some random numbers or online user counter or dates which change regularly? You can remove the cache/language folder too.
Dec 20, 2011 6:18 am by paulg
Hi Edvard, How simple can it be, removing the cache/language folder did the trick. Thanks! How does cache cleaning work? Because of my limited webspace I've set cache to 3 days starting from 16 december. But after 5 days there's still date visible from 16 december and the cache is still growing slowly with a few Mb's each day. Doesn't cache cleaning just delete 16 december, then 17 december etc. or does it use another method? Greetings, Paul
Dec 20, 2011 10:42 pm by Edvard
We don't suggest removing cache at all, you better buy web space. It doesn't delete the cache, it just updates when the cache is expired. 1 year cache is a good option. BTW. Can you answer to my previous question. It can help to keep your cache folder small.
Dec 21, 2011 6:24 am by paulg
Hi Edvard, thanks for the info. I already had to buy extra webspace (200 Mb) a few weeks ago because of this cache but didn't expect that Gtranslate would claim such a amount of space. About your previous question: I don't use random counters, inline users counters or changing dates. Data which changes regular are a few AdSense advertorials and regular, almost daily, updates to the site. By the way, what do you consider as a small cache? Doesn't the size of the cache depend on how much data the website contains? My own website is about 220 Mb (database not included) but with 5 languages activated the cache growed easily over 250 Mb's in a week, that's more than the website itself! After I deleted two languages from the five and set the cache to 3 days it still grows over 150 Mb in only a few days. Can't I use some languages without the cache folders? I noticed that translation still works great (just like the old free version with JQuery) when you enterily remove the cache/language folder, it's only a bit slower. Greetings, Paul
Dec 21, 2011 9:03 am by Edvard
Hi, I can see you have a countdown timer on your site and every time you visit it it displays a new time. Which is being translated every time you visit the site. You can wrap it with class="notranslate", so it will not translate the module contents. The cache size depends of how much content you have on your site. For example only Russian for our small website is 100Kb which is actually not that big. But it can be about 10 - 20 mb for a medium website which doesn't have random/always changing text on the site.
Dec 21, 2011 9:28 am by paulg
Hi Edvard, You're right, I totally forget that module. :oops: I switched it off now and set the cache back to 365 days. Hope this will solve the fast growing. Can you explain what you mean with wrap with class="notranslate" Do I have to edit something in the sourcecode ore in the module itself? Thanks for all your great support and advices so far. 8-) Greetings, Paul
Dec 21, 2011 9:34 am by Edvard
If in the module configuration you can see module class suffix you can set it to "notranslate " (space in the end without quotes) which will do the trick for you. Otherwise you need to modify the source code of the module and add it manually.
Dec 26, 2011 11:38 am by paulg
Hi Edvard, I switched of the countdown timer off but within a few days the sitecache is over 150 Mb for three languages again. Now I can buy extra webspace again but I really prefere to use that extra space for other things. Isn't it possible to create a cachelimit-option in the Pro-plugin so the cache can be adjusted to certain values like 100, 250, 500Mb and 1 Gb and will be overwritten when the limit is reached? Now I have absolutely no control over the fast growing cache and have to remove it by hand to avoid running out of space. That would be a really nice option! Greetings and have a very nice Christmas. Paul
Dec 29, 2011 12:47 pm by Edvard
Hi, That shouldn't grow so fast. You can sort the cache by last modified date and check the contents of the last file(s) it has created. That should give you an idea where you have random content. The design doesn't allow you to limit the cache.
Dec 30, 2011 11:17 am by paulg
Hi, That shouldn't grow so fast. You can sort the cache by last modified date and check the contents of the last file(s) it has created. That should give you an idea where you have random content. The design doesn't allow you to limit the cache. Hi Edvard, I checked out the last 10 files in the most recent updated cachefolder and everything seems to be ok. It's just translated text from articles so I guess I have a lot of text on my site. Thanks for your help and have a great 2012! Greetings, Paul
Jan 3, 2012 12:41 pm by Edvard
Thanks and wish you a Happy New Year.
Jan 12, 2012 7:23 am by paulg
Hi Edvard, Yesterday I got this message when I clicked one of the translationflags: "You don't have appropriate license for ...domain". Also the cache wasn''t updated since the evening before yesterday. I decided to install the Gtranslate Pro plugin again (just installed over the already installed plugin) and the problem was solved. For the record; I haven't changed anything on the website the last few days. Do you have any idea what has caused this license message? Greetings, Paul
Jan 12, 2012 11:30 am by claudiocava
Hi Edvard, Yesterday I got this message when I clicked one of the translationflags: "You don't have appropriate license for ...domain". Also the cache wasn''t updated since the evening before yesterday. I decided to install the Gtranslate Pro plugin again (just installed over the already installed plugin) and the problem was solved. For the record; I haven't changed anything on the website the last few days. Do you have any idea what has caused this license message? Greetings, Paul I have the same problem that persists after reinstallation. I'm waiting for support since two days. Cheers
Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am by Edvard
Hi, If you have license issues go to http://domain.com/ru/?verify_license=1 and it will refresh the license. The issue can happen if your server had temporary connection issues with our server.
Jan 13, 2012 2:07 pm by claudiocava
Hi, If you have license issues go to http://domain.com/ru/?verify_license=1 and it will refresh the license. The issue can happen if your server had temporary connection issues with our server. Hi Edward, This is ok, thank you. But is all to the beginning, it's translate only titles and once intros. I have again inserted the force_translation in .htaccess. .htaccess have you sent per pm. In the cache are 70000 files. Regards
Jan 16, 2012 1:33 pm by Edvard
Do you have any random generated content on your site? Can you post here the link of a page where you have partial translated content?