Forum Archive - How to disable the automatic translation with Joomla 3

How to disable the automatic translation with Joomla 3
May 27, 2015 4:04 am by tmigot
HI, i have spent a long time reading through old posts and i did not find the solution. I am working on a new version of my site and i am trying desperately to prevent the automatique translation of my joomla k2 articles. my site is multilingual: primary english and then french. When french users access my blog: http://staging2.tommigotphotography.com ... ation/blog the Gtranslate module appears (does not on the english version of the blog, as designed). I love the module but I want my users to manually select the language in order for the translation to kick in and not get the module tigers itself on-load and translate the whole page (even my own logo). Why do i want that? Because i use to writ all my articles in english and i have recently decided to wrote them both in french and in english so from now on my french users will see an article that is written by me in french. Given i have many old articles that would need the Gtranslate magic, i only want to have the module work when selected an not before. I hope this makes sense. I look forward to your suggestion. Cheers, Tom
Re: How to disable the automatic translation with Joomla 3
May 27, 2015 8:01 am by Yana
Dear Tom, I can see you are using GTranslate free and another language extension (probably the language filter and language code). Please note that the GTranslate free version doesn't have SEF URL feature and you cannot switch from domain.com/fr/ to domain.com/en/ with the free version. GTranslate generates subfolder structured links with the Pro version but currently we are not selling Pro version. If you want you can subscribe to the Enterprise version . In this case you will have subdomain-structured links like fr.domain.com . You can check the features here https://gtranslate.io/#pricing If you want to use free version
May 27, 2015 1:05 pm by tmigot
Thx Yana for the swift reply. However this is does not really answer my issue. I do tho need a tool which handles multiple domain. I only want to know how i can prevent the automatic translation of the page upon loading. As i said, i like your component and the only thing I want to control is when the translation occurs. Surely there should be something in the code i can interact with.
May 27, 2015 3:25 pm by Edvard
Hi, With Enterprise version you will be able to wrap the parts on your pages you do not want to be translated with special tag which will prevent translation of that part. Other parts will be translated. Thanks!
May 27, 2015 3:43 pm by tmigot
Hi Edward, i get that but i am no need for the enterprise version. I only ask you for the line of code in your component that triggers the translation.
May 27, 2015 3:44 pm by Edvard
It is not possible with our free version. Thanks!
May 27, 2015 4:15 pm by tmigot
so you are basically not going to tell me which function is triggering the translation. I am gonna have to find out by myself in revers engineering your component? thx.
May 27, 2015 4:17 pm by Edvard
The language change is being triggered by doGTranslate javascript function. However you will not be able to achieve what you want with the free version. Thanks!
May 27, 2015 4:41 pm by tmigot
thank you. now that i have the JS function, i can simply block it or call it to translate back into english and while i expect some flickering, it would appear like the page never got translated at the first place. In the worth scenario, if i cannot make it work then i will find an other translating engine that does not trigger automatically. Everything is possible.
May 28, 2015 4:09 pm by Yana
Dear Tom, Hope you will fix the issue. Thanks!
May 31, 2015 11:47 pm by tmigot
Hi Yana, just wanted to close this topic as i have achieve what i wanted: http://tommigotphotography.com/fr/educa ... g/articles basically what i did was realising that since the component knew the site is meant to be in english by default, all i needed to was to click on the english flag to disable the translation. So the trick was to change slightly your code to replace the english flag by a button during the loop (which create the flags) and call that button "reset" . so when my visitor want to use the translation their click on the french flag, when they do not want it they click on the the button (which stands for the english flag/ default language). It works well.
Jun 1, 2015 8:47 am by Yana
Hi, Good to hear you've found a solution! Thank you for the information.
Jun 3, 2015 7:57 am by joit
tmigot, couldn't you just disable gtranslate with "Menue Assignment" options of the gtranslate module? It works for me. Disabling translations is the only enterprise feature I need. But the price for the enterprise edition is just too high for me ;-(