Forum Archive - 404 errors from links to my site after uninstall

404 errors from links to my site after uninstall
Jul 4, 2013 4:40 pm by Nirmalanow
Hi Edvard, I have a quick question for you. I had Gtranslate Pro on my site several years ago, and then changed my mind and removed it. However, in my Google Webmaster Tools I still get a lot of 404 errors for links to my site using the two digit language codes from Gtranslate. Do you have any idea where these links are being generated? I just upgraded my site to Joomla 3.0, and there is no code from Gtranslate on there. However, the old site is still live on a temporary address, so if somehow the old site is generating those links, then maybe the error messages will stop when I take down the old version of my site. Any idea how the gtranslate links to my site are being generated and then followed by the Google robots even though the plugin is uninstalled? Thanks.
Re: 404 errors from links to my site after uninstall
Jul 4, 2013 4:43 pm by Nirmalanow
PS: there is nothing in my sitemap referencing gtranslate as I removed that info.
Jul 4, 2013 4:44 pm by Edvard
Hi, Your old website translated pages has already been indexed. You may redirect URLs with language code to your main website. However you can take no action and leave it as is and over time the errors will go away.
Jul 4, 2013 5:00 pm by Nirmalanow
Yes, the old site was indexed with Gtranslate at one time, but I removed the gtranslate plugin from my old site over two years ago in March of 2011. If the links should disappear over time, it seems they would be gone by now. Any idea why I am still getting 404 error messages today?
Jul 4, 2013 5:02 pm by Edvard
In webmaster tools it should show where the link comes from. Please check there and you will get the answer.
Jul 4, 2013 9:02 pm by Nirmalanow
the links were either coming from my site or no data available. I did discover that there was an old file in my root folder called htaccess.txt which still had gtranslate code in it. Would that have generated the links even though there was another more recent htacess file (with no .txt suffix)?
Jul 6, 2013 5:48 am by Yana
Hi, htaccess.txt cannot generate the language code. It should be .htaccess. You can add the redirect rules in your .htaccess to redirect the translated pages links the homepage. Here is an example: RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^(fr|de|it)/(.*)$ /$2 [R=301,L]
Sep 4, 2013 10:09 am by Artur
Hey, I try to reinstall whole addon, and after uninstalling my website is working only on homepage, other sites have 404 error. I've everything like you wrote on documentation.
Sep 4, 2013 10:57 am by Yana
Hi, Please check your .htaccess file and joomla global settings. It is possible that you have disabled " Use URL rewriting" option.
Sep 4, 2013 11:24 am by Artur
Aaaa yes. :P Maybe is a good idea to add this to uninstalling instruction (I have renamed .htaccess)? I will try to install it again, but I have similar problem after installing gtranslate http://mydomain.com/pl has 404 error, but http://mydomain.com/ is working just fine.
Sep 4, 2013 12:23 pm by Yana
Hi, We have free installation service. If you want I can install the plugin for you . You can use the contact form on our homepage to send the access information.